Change to company names examination policy FAQs
As from 1 September 2011 we will no longer accept company names on documents submitted to us which contain minor variations or typographical errors. This change of policy is to ensure that documents are entered onto the correct company record.
We will continue to accept a small number of abbreviations and we will also allow the word "THE" to be omitted but only at the front of the name.
Where a name has an abbreviation other than those stipulated below, the document will be rejected.
Only the following abbreviations will be acceptable:
- Any name ending listed below,
- 'Co' instead of 'company',
- '&' instead of 'and'.
For public companies:
- public limited company
- cwmmi cyfyngedig cyhoeddus
- Limited Liability Partnership
- Partneriaeth Atebolrwydd Cyfyngedig,
For private limited companies:
For Community Interest Companies (private limited):
- Community Interest Company
- Cwmni Buddiant Cymunedol
For Community Interest Companies (public limited):
- Community Interest Public Limited Company
- Community Interest PLC
- Community Interest P.L.C.
- Cwmni Buddiant Cymunedol Cyhoeddus Cyfyngedig
- Cwmni Buddiant Cymunedol CCC
- Cwmni Buddiant Cymunedol C.C.C.
It is also extremely important that presenters provide us with the correct company number.
We hope that this guidance will assist you and that it will ultimately reduce the current level of rejections.